Battles

Comments

• VigilanteStylez VigilanteStylez 2 years ago Producer

I'm gonna comment my honest opinion, and if those don't like it... too bad. Why are you battling for, then if you don't want honest criticism? Was it all for your "narcissitic supply"? Or "confirmation bias"?

• SkreallaMike SkreallaMike 2 years ago Producer

It’s like video games though some people gonna cheat and some play fair but hey what can you do about it right if you know your beat fire then who cares if ya lost a battle of opinions

• VigilanteStylez VigilanteStylez 2 years ago Producer

I wonder how people can "cheat" at beat battling. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there are ways, but the producer really just "cheats" himself at the end of the day, because the phony win didn't result into a beat sale, or a music career of any kind. Just pointless bragging rights that no one cares about, except those who are here battling.

• ECass ECass 1 year ago Producer

I like the criticism good/bad it just means I have to improve... and not just improve my technical skills on the beats but my soft skills as well on the professional side. Reading text is a complete different perception to the reader opposed to talking in-person. Understanding this and being able to only extract/transcribe the good out of it is how you improve your soft skills.
    I think most people on here are very passionate about their work... work being the biggest word... we should consider this environment as such, we all have disagreements in the work environment but before we norm we must storm to improve. We all put hours in to make something out of nothing and it shouldn't go unnoticed on both sides when providing/receiving feedback. Keep grinding and keep up the good work.

• VigilanteStylez VigilanteStylez 1 year ago Producer

Yeah take the feedback with a grain of salt tho. Everyone has their own opinion on what is good music and what is not. To progress to mastery in a skill, you need expert feedback, and mentorship. Otherwise it is the blind leading the blind. Battling is good to get an idea of where you are musically. Gives you a baseline to reference where you could improve, if you agree with them. It's your art, still do you at the end of the day.

• Jokeyent Jokeyent 1 year ago Bronze Status Producer

@vigilantesyles....I honestly like your opinions...your pet peeve is the mix...and I like that because your the type of judge that will make someone better not worse so I say keep doing that...I know I need it

I try to help anyway that I can. I am also my own worst critic, as I am working on an album right now, and have mixed the entire album at least 10 times already. But I really feel like if the mix is off, then people can't feel or make an emotional connection with the music. So my criticisms are focused on that because everyone here makes great music, so I want to help them make that emotional connection by giving mixing critique when I vote on battles.

• BobChops BobChops 1 year ago Producer

That's rough, when you listen to something and work on something so much, in the end you don't even know where you are anymore!

I have deleted beats before, that I thought were hot! because I couldn't get the mix right! I feel really annoyed with myself for doing that now.

Luckily, I stashed most of beats away, for a time when I was better at mixing. Most of the time tho, I don't feel it's worth going back to them yet, as the longer I wait, the more I learn.

I might go in and touch one or two of them up from time to time.

So the only real mix down I have done for maybe a decade was a one song. I work with the rapper for ages, and after months, lol we manage to get one beat he liked, he recorded the vocals, and then I mixed it. I showed people the mix. This is 5 or 6 years ago.

Well it was woolly and sounded rubbish. I showed it to some people and they were, "hmm".

So I went in again on it, and spent 22 hours mixing it. I think I started at 8 in the morning, and finish at 6 am the next day.

I got a good reaction from the same people. They saw it in a totally different light.

Fast forward to last year, and I had developed my mixing enough, to the point, where that mixdown, just sounded really bad to me. I could see all the mistakes I had made.

So, I went in again.

The thing is, rappers will always choose your beat, you never meant them to have. I had made the beat in sonar on creative pc speakers. Everything was crap. The beat was good, but all the sounds were in completely the wrong place.

The kick was to high, the leads were all mid range. to much bass yuk!

Well I spent, ages again mixing it. I spent a lot of time fixing the drums, and then cleaning up the vocal mix. In the end when I finished it, I was really happy with it. When I compared it to the previous final mix.

And now, I feel like I have moved on again in the last year, and I listen to it, and I want to start it all over again. I would do everything differently.

The thing about mixing is, we are all getting better at it all the time. It's not like beat making where we can go in and out of fashion. With mixing, it's technical, so we learn more and more about it the longer we do it.

I try not to aim for a mix as good as those pro mixer guys. I just try to do the best that I can do at that time. Mixing is something that can send a person crazy tho! hence why I don't really like to spend more then 1 hour or so mixing anymore. That way I can always excuse myself, by saying I only spent one hour mixing it!

I love mixing. I just got that Al Schmitt Signature Plugin from Leapwing audio. I use it to do mix preparation, basically trying to get the tracks sounding like he recorded them. Then I mix in my own way in Harrison Mixbus 32C. I am getting some stellar mixes right now, but you are right, it at times can make a person go crazy.