Generation Z and their desire for OLD SCHOOL in everything they do.

Comments

• VigilanteStylez VigilanteStylez 1 year ago Producer

Looks like us old heads are the cool kids again considering the Gen Z's appetite for everything 80s and 90s.  I suppose they have a sort of nostalgia for a time they never lived in because those times were considered by many to be pretty chill and fun.  The music and fashion was very individualistic, original, and creative.  The tone in the media was "positive" for the most part, all of our commercials had jingles, and everything was mildly affordable for most.  I asked some and they say the "quality" of production of music was better then, not just in sound quality, but creativity.  The music back then was made by only the most skilled musicians, mixed and mastered by actual professional engineers in top notch studios.  At least on the mainstream level.  Today a lot of music is made in someone's bedroom, by only 1 person doing everything.  Back in the day it was a team effort to drop a song.  Not so much today.  Plus labels wanted to have a monopoly on a new sound.  Now they like to play it safe, and just keep releasing what has been selling.  Sticking to the same formulas, the same sounds, the same patterns, the same structure.  The same artists, the same topics.  Recently a metal song from 1986 "Master of Puppets" just hit the charts again after it was in an episode of "stranger things" a show that is based in the 1980s.  But not only is metal being rediscovered, also the pop hits of the 80s.  So I imagine that the late 80s RnB is gonna come back "New Jack Swing", and for hip hop the early 90s during the golden era of boom bap, and the start of G Funk could be coming back.  I already know a guy here in ATL who is demanding G Funk beats, and is pissed at all the producers who keep sending him drill beats with G funk worm leads.  He wants actual Dr Dre, Rhythm D, Daz, Sam Sneed type G Funk beats.  The biggest pop songs lately have all been throwbacks.  Silk Sonic, 24K Magic, Doja Cat when she dropped on the scene with "Say So", so on and so forth.  New school producers need to expand their skillset or get left behind from us "old heads".  Learn that swing function, and experiment with sampling.  That's all.  You can now go back to your regularly scheduled program.  

• staffmuzik staffmuzik 1 year ago Producer

It's funny how G-Funk is coming back around. I remember when nobody really wanted West coast g funk beats or west coast beats in general. Trap had taken everyone's mind over. But I'm glad I stuck to my guns and roots and never stopped making it. ALot of producers had stepped away from that sound to jump on the trap trend. I had learned to make the trap beats as well but still kept my g funk beats on deck.

Everything seems to come back around.  We really had most of today's sound back in the 90s already.  They just didn't have a name for it.  I am really seeing a resurgence in all of hip hop.  What it is in my opinion is it seems that the older music was more creative, and more collaborative.  What we have today is pretty much one guy doing everything in a song. In a lot of cases, it is one guy making the beat, writing the lyrics, performing the song, doing the mixing and mastering, and doing the promotion.  While that is cool.  That person is really just expressing their art, and while there is nothing wrong with that, what makes good music is when multiple people put their flavor or stamp on it.  Plus everyone having a say in what sounds good and what doesn't.  We don't see that much anymore, and the market is saturated with so many casual musicians, and not enough highly skilled pros.  We see so much on social media dudes claiming to make "industry beats", and do "industry professional mixing and mastering", and in the end it sounds like crap, because those guys were on the beginning curve of the dunning kruger effect.  They barely learned how to use the plugins in their daw, or just barely learned how to make a trap beat (which in my opinion, is the easiest beat you can make) and then went all out with the promotion trying to make a quick buck.  Sometimes they make heat, a lot of the time they don't, or they use chord packs, premade beats from a loop kit, changing one thing, and then selling that beat.  Everyone using the same drums, the same patterns, the same plugins for mixing.  Just everyone copycatting, and what people want is variety.  Would you like to live in a city where the only restaurant there is is a "arbys"?  Anytime you want food, it is only arbys?  That is what people are getting today, not just in hip hop, but in all music genres right now.  The young generation wants something with a little more flavor, something that sounds skilled, and relates to their emotions more.  Plus they are also the ones driving the "synthwave" movement, and "LoFi" hiphop as well.  Crazy stuff.  I welcome the change, trap has been the only sound since about 2008.  It's about time something else came along.  

• Arcade Arcade 1 year ago Bronze Status Producer

yes to everything lol

• staffmuzik staffmuzik 1 year ago Producer

You are right about that. I remember when I used to beat battles in person. ALot of times I wouldnt win because the judges would be biased and like the boom bap more. Sometimes I got a win because one of the judges liked the more melodic composed style I did. It was funny when I lost because the guy who beat me that round wuldn't get as much love from the young guys watching. They would all come up to me afterwards and tell me how dope my beats were. They were more appreciative of the melodically composed beats (rather it was west coast or whatever). Than the quick trap beats that was overly distorted and cut and paste. SOme guys won off using unique samples. It was always a battle between the composers vs the copiers. 

• BobChops BobChops 1 year ago Producer

Everything goes around and comes back again! 

It does!  Like in the 90s we sampled music from the 70s a lot. 

• GAmmo GAmmo 1 year ago Producer

I've read there is this 30 - year cycle where every generation suddenly get this nostalgic way of feeling and want to live back in that moment. The nice thing about doing that today is that the internet is here and we are able to replicate the era we want to live in great detail. I remember when I started making beats, the ''Down South'' / ''Trap'' era was just popping, but my heart was with Old School, preferably 90's and Eastcoast (N Y style) jams. Im glad I stuck with that to be honest, and just like Staff says, I've also learned how to make trap. The only era I really liked concerning the South / Trap style beats were the beats from Three 6 Mafia, as they sampled but still had those sick drum tracks which made it ''new''. Don't forget their flows were new and unique. But the moment the mumble stuff started and the ''lil - name'' came around, I got lost. Everyone wanted to do that, everyone suddenly was a ''lil'' this and ''lil'' that...

Funny thing about this website is when you have all these producers together, you can kinda guess the age and the time they grew up in when listening to the beats.

Facts.  There is a thing I saw somewhere, where people tend to like the music most that came out when they were about 11 to 16 years old for the most part.  The thing that baffles me is how Gen Z has nostalgia for music from what we consider the golden era of hip hop, pop, rock music etc.  You would think that Gen Z would most like the music that dropped from about 2011 to 2017 mostly, but I think that was a stagnant time musically, and like you were saying @staffmuzik the music was mixed poorly and overdistorted / loud etc.  So it was just unpleasant to listen to just for that alone.  But it also seemed like a time when everyone just started copying one kind of sound, and really Gen Z wants to hear something else, and in order to hear something else, they have to dig back to Gen X music tastes.