Old School 90s Production sound (1991)

Comments

• VigilanteStylez VigilanteStylez 1 year ago Producer

You want that "Tribe Called Quest Low End Theory" sound in the box? I have been able to achieve that sound using the Lindell 80 Series from Plugin Alliance. It is supposed to be an exacting emulation of the Neve 8028 with some additional features. So ofc it has a 1073 preamp from the start, a choice between the 1084 EQ / filter, or the 1073 EQ. You also get a 2254 compressor with the ability to control the wetness to do parallel "NY" compression. Then a gate, and a bus channel for summing bus transformer saturation, and trim with added variable THD. So put the Lindell 80 "bus" on your busses / FX sends, including your master bus before your tape machine plugin, then the Lindell 80 "channel" on your channels across the whole session to emulate the entire console sound. You can do this in any DAW. Studio One users also have the additional console shaper for more console vibe and crosstalk emulation for true console sound. To do that in there, use CTC-1, then preset "Color-1" for vintage Neve console shaping along with the Lindell 80 plugins. Now you have the classic Neve sound that sounds really close to the classic Neve used to record and mix "Tribe's Low End Theory" album. From what I read they used the same Neve console that John Lennon used in the 1970s so this plugin would sound very close to the Neve consoles of that era, and thus you can replicate the sonics in the box with this plugin. I have tried others, and feel this is the closest to the sound in my humble opinion. Thank me later. :)

John Lennon Neve Desk

Neve 8028 at Sound City

For the record I forgot to mention low end theory was mixed on a Neve 8068 but the Lindell 80 series is enough considering the 8068 used a 1084 EQ if I remember correctly.

• Jokeyent Jokeyent 1 year ago Bronze Status Producer

not telling my age but I was actually in the studio with them when they were recording the album...you are on point....my government is on the actual credits for the album...shhh all of their albums...r.i.p phife....you are 99.9% correct

Wow!  That's amazing!  And thanks for letting my know my research was on point! :)