A Disturbing Trend

Comments

• VigilanteStylez VigilanteStylez 11 months ago Producer

Where did all the people go?  Remember when the internet was POPPIN?  2007 to 2020.  You had people engaging, people buying lots of beats, massive discussion threads, so much interaction.  Is it just me, or does it seem like everywhere is becoming a ghost town?  Social media sites, and all the engagement nearly gone.  I don't count TikTok because the Chinese have bots all over the place to make something look viral.  I remember in the rocbattle days there was tons of people sending messages, beat sales, hundreds of battles going at once.  I can't imagine that people's competitive nature has somehow died off.  I also looked at google trends, and found ANY subject at all is showing steep decline.  A peak in 2008 to 2012, and then a decline in interest in every subject across the board... Where did everyone go?  

• KingDavidProduction KingDavidProduction 10 months ago Bronze Status Producer

yes, take it back to 2007- 2010. I made enough money to start a real estate business. i only do this now for fun. But it was way more going on back then. I couldn't wait til the kids fell asleep and cooked up something. Most of the guys back then like Beat Boxerz, Big Boy Tracks went to making content about beats. Making content is more $$$ then slanging beats in 2023. Its too many damn producers lol and no style anymore. Everybody making "Type Beats" Everybody wants to sound alike. Im glad i save and went another road.

• BobChops BobChops 10 months ago Producer

100%

nowadays I view this as a hobby.

I cane to the conclusion.  I could make music I like and make no money from it, or make music I don't like and make no money from it.

What made electronic music fun in the last is that it was limited by technology.  No one downloaded an sp1200 to try it out.  The hardware acted as a bulkhead to keep the oceans of wanna be producers at bay.

People use to complain about other producers using presets! 

now using drum loops is viewed as ok.

so the barrier to entry is very low now.  And the huge gulf in skill between someone doing it a couple of years vs a couple of decades does not exsist for most people.

really someone can follow an online tutorial or beat making course for a couple of weeks, they are going to have most of it down!

it's true the average person doesn't care if you use loops or your beat is only 2 bars long.  

I would say this is true of mixing as well.  People don't care about the fine details of a mix. Just does it bang!

back in the day there was no shortage of amazing producers, musicians and mixers etc.  so why did they all disappear and we don't hear from them anymore?  

that said, I got really great studio gear now as it's much cheaper the it was.

when I look at my keyboards it takes me back to the time when people were getting paid big money for placements and there was a tension, urgency an excitement in the air!

By recreating my setup from that time, and only listening to music from that time, I can live in that time forever.

I have no doubt in a few years we will be hearing producers saying it's ok to use chatGPT to make beats for you.

I mean really, chatGPT is going to kill the melody game.  It's not going to be hard for it to create midi keyboard parts.  Way better then a human with a mouse. As the chatGPT will add all the humanise, velocities and reference all the knowledge on music theory.

so what technology gave us, technology will take away as well.  

• VigilanteStylez VigilanteStylez 10 months ago Producer

Facts.  Too many "type beats" producers.  A friend told me this.  Imagine if Timbaland was a type beats producer, Pony would have never been made.  That stuck with me. 

ChatGPT is just a an AI chatbot, but I get what you mean.  Using drum loops is not a bad thing, since that was how early hip hop was.  The amen break, and others.  I think producers who make entire beats pasting loops from a construction kit is not very creative, and might get them in trouble with copyright strikes and whatnot.  The thing that really kills the business is so many broke ass dudes jumping in trying to make a quick buck by making easy cheap music that is not mixed or mastered properly, and trying to follow trends, just to sell a beat.  That is type beats producers, and to me, they have ruined the online beat selling game completely.  However, just because they did that, has not changed the fact that producers should just form a relationship with a few artists, and work as a team to drop albums.  I always thought that better music is made in a team setting anyway, with everyone signing off on how it sounds.  15 year old type beats producers selling 100 beats for 99 cents will just take the non serious artists away from us, and I am okay with that.  

• Jokeyent Jokeyent 11 months ago Bronze Status Producer

Because people too sensitive.... liability hasade it impossible to Express yourself 

I bet that's it.