Beginners in Music Production!

Comments

• NRMusicTherapy NRMusicTherapy 4 months ago Producer

I want to shed light on the beginning stages of music production! As a beginner myself starting out can leave you stuck at times not knowing in whatever DAW you might be starting you tracks on where to begin. THE  BEST ADVICE IS FORUMS OR WATCH VIDEOS FOR TIPS ON HOW TO START A BEAT!  Currently enrolling in school for music production this has advanced me ahead of classes a month ahead of time. 

Also test things out as you go! Last but not least don't rush the process take the time out to learn and experiement!

• VigilanteStylez VigilanteStylez 3 months ago Producer

As a guy who has been in music production since 1996, go to school for something else.  You don't want a degree and student loans for something you might not be able to get a dayjob in.  AI is going to take many low skill labor jobs away leaving those people to fend for themselves.  Most pros in the music business have no schooling, some do, but it's not a requirement to get a music business job.  It would be better to intern at a studio, and get engineers to train you, or work with a known producer in your area.  Yes, also watch youtube videos, but this is mostly on the job training, and all you need to dedicate your "free" time to the craft, and you will get good, guaranteed, and you don't need to go to school for it.  Most of the time they will teach you stuff in a semester you could have easily learned hanging out with a Jazz pianist for a day. Matter of fact, I know a guy who went to the SAE Institute in downtown Atlanta, and all they taught him was how to do editing, and setting up a session in protools, and how to do basic EQ, compression, and how to bounce to disk.  A total waste of his time and money, when he could have watched 2 youtube videos, and learned that whole shit.  He said he never touched the SSL console they had, and never got any real in depth instruction on more advanced audio engineering techniques.  I took a course from the Berkeley College of Music, and learned about how sharps and flats are the same note. Total waste of time, thankfully I didn't pay for it.  Maybe Full Sail is better?  Idk, but I am pretty sure it is similar. I guess the good thing is networking with people who are trying to get a job in the music business, maybe that will pan out some day.