Getting the modern sound!

Comments

• BobChops BobChops 1 month ago Producer

I won't lie it's been a really hard slog for me! things get harder when you get older! 

I think the problem is that, nowadays, no one goes to disco dancing anymore, so it's hard to discover, what sound nowadays people are actually into.

Somethings I learn tho.  

1st hip hop translates well, but, not most of my hip hop, because I like to make the midi sounding hip hop, from around 2007. It's a consciences decision, I like that ironic sound. 

But you really need to do the serious sound. Keys are ok in the hip hop category, but I see where I where wrong. My taste was way off! 

Dirty south is a much harder sell. People are going to say, no look at me I am doing dirty south etc. I would say, probably not.  Tho I question myself, I am probably not doing either. 

I got into a comfort zone, where I can make a track quickly, but it just don't sound modern or good enough. 

I think another thing to remember is, some dudes are battling their lifes work on here.  You have to remember that, you can't complain that much, if your making something that day, and posting it up and it's crashing and burning.  

My plan is to go away and learn the modern techniques!  I migth become a drill producer.  The reason is, I think trap is on the way out.  You may  as well jump on the most modern trend possible. 

In general keyboard styles age really badly.  Hip hop beats, don't age, but they are also not really that exciting to most dudes anymore.  

I notice most dudes on the site, take trap seriously, and are interested in Drill, the other stuff is like niche experiment for them. 

They pay lip service to the hip hop, but they so so into it.  Only old heads are still living the hip hop dream.  Which is ok. There is enough old heads who still like that sound to maintain it's relevance. 

I might even try to make some of the new hip hop beats at 70 bpm.  The classic sounds of hip hop undoubtedly sound better then all the new shit. But I think you put yourself in frustrating place, trying to make high calibre retro sounds, that ppl nowadays don't care for. 

Work smart not hard! 

• VigilanteStylez VigilanteStylez 1 month ago Producer

Unless you like Drill music, you might not make it well.  I think it is a short lived fad like Dubstep.  It was cool at first, but it lacks creativity.  There is only a certain way to make a drill beat, and they largely sound the same.  Trap was a little more creative, but still very formulaic.  I think just make what you like.  That's what I do now, instead of trying to sound "relevant". 

• BobChops BobChops 1 month ago Producer

Well rapid it's true, I think it's like dub step.  But trap has been going about 14 years now, so they will replace with something.  Maybe it's Afro beats.  

My problem is I have not been putting enough into my music.

thats what yung dudes have over old dudes.  Its all fresh and exciting.

and to be honest, all that really matters is how much fun you have doing music.  

most fun i have is playing with studio gear and trying out new techniques.

yes it would be nice to be able to make a more popular sound. But you can't let that ruin your enjoyment of the hobby if that's not happening 

• VigilanteStylez VigilanteStylez 1 month ago Producer

What is being pushed by the mainstream media is not what people want.  They stopped doing that long ago once they could not make money from album / record sales.  Now the music business is used to push political agendas, plus lets not forget the private prison system in America has a very large investment in the entertainment industry.  Also, we have the Communist Chinese Party with its heavy influences on the entertainment industry, and their puppet politicians who run California, and NY.  What we are getting now, is not entirely what everyone wants.  They understand the bandwagon effect very well, and the flood strategy.  Political action committees, superPACs, political parties, have a ton of money, and will pay top dollar to promote the "great narrative".  It is called "soft power", and by all means the powers that be find soft power to be very powerful indeed.  This is what is going on.  The people have no say in what is hot or not in music anymore.  But ONLY in the mainstream.  The underground is alive and kicking, and all the music we have always loved is still there going strong.  We have to turn off the TV, and throw the radio in the trash, and dig for some artists making moves in the underground scene, and then we will find the lyricists, the fire beats, everything.  Just have to dig for it.  

• Jokeyent Jokeyent 1 month ago Bronze Status Producer

you really believe that?Thats not true...hiphop was a community then was capitalized...business gives out loans to the stories the streets want to hear thats why the hustlers are making all the money...Business is business once u take from a lender u wind up oweing three times as much thats the game no matter whats being sold...now the new game is influence and the same money goes to the most influencial...theres no power that be its simply u take the loan or you dont...many people borrow above they means its called credit...in the biz its a deal same shh...politicians are influenced by activism and clergy...and thats because the average citizen refuses to go to a town meeting to meet their district senator on their day off...These people listen to who they think has influence...if you go and present a problem and people are behind u?They will listen

• MusicMystro MusicMystro 1 month ago Producer

Mr Chops! i’m going to have to disagree with you on the hip hop thing. look at me! I battle a lot of keyboard hip hop beats and win! it comes down to sound selection and sound placement thou! Don’t switch up. just keep doing what you like and master it! what you have over a lot of beat makers on here is you actually make your stuff from scratch and not a pack. that says a lot! that’s a skill to know how to create something out of nothing! secondly i can tell how you judge and how you break music down your musically educated. like you took music theory or music classss before. you just keep doing what you do. just master your sound.

• Jokeyent Jokeyent 1 month ago Bronze Status Producer

lol chopsquad dj look them up also look at mpc 37 keys tutorials...dudes are keyboard players...being old and being stuck in your ways be the real problem...adapting to today is a choice though many of us do not want to we must and most importantly is giving the youth a platform to express themselves..In your expression you are explaining whats wrong with todays world...We want to hold the platform way past our time instead of grooming the youth to take it...many of us are old washed up producers holding on to the little fame we got left instead of listening to the youth and adjusting to the world today...there soul is not our soul they blues is not our blues to survive today u must adjust or stay in our old school lane

• MusicMystro MusicMystro 1 month ago Producer

i hear you on this but............. you know what.. let me just shut up!

I just thought as a producer if something was off key or out of tune, the ear will automatically pick it up!

i guess being tone deaf is the new wave huh!