Harrison Mixbus

Comments

• VigilanteStylez VigilanteStylez 2 years ago Producer

Anyone here use this? I think it is an excellent mixing DAW. Sucks for making beats tho. Would still use FL, Ableton, etc, then export the tracks to mix into Harrison Mixbus. Harrison Mixbus actually has a sound, sounds analog. Sounds better to me than Protools +
    AVID Heat. Studio One with the MixFX engine sounds really close, but still think in terms of workflow and simplicity, that Harrison is the king of mixing DAWs.

• JVHProductionBeats JVHProductionBeats 2 years ago Producer

I have been using Harrison Mixbus since 2016 when Mixbus 4 was released. I trained and used Pro Tools mostly until I heard this DAW. It's much easier to use than Pro Tools and the sound is much better because you really don't have to use any third party plugins. I only use it for mixing and your right it does sucks for making beats so I use Ableton and Akai MPC for making beats then I export my stems over into Harrison Mixbus for mixing. So I think this is a very unknown DAW that will take off once it's recognized because of the sound and easy workflow it has once you get to know it.

Absolutely! I was drawn in by their ads "True Analog Mixing Engine". But I tried it and immediately noticed that it surely did sound analog. Bought it right away after that. :)

• BobChops BobChops 2 years ago Producer

I know someone who has recently moved to harrison ford mix bus as well. And they say they are very happy with it.

It certainly looks a lot more logical and well laid out then most other DAWs.

I am happy with Reason and the SSL console. I understand Reason is not for everyone. But I have to say that the SSL console is so good!

Harrison ford Mix buss looks like something I would be interested in otherwise.

How is the sound on that? Does it sound similar to the SSL Native plugins considering the Reason SSL is based on the 9000 series consoles? Is there any channel saturation or summing / crosstalk / gated noise, tolerance modeling? Looks cool. The SSL 360 from SSL has a SSL console layout as well for their version 2 channel and bus compressor plugins. I think it would be cool to fire up plugin doctor and see if the curves are similar in the EQ and the compressor response the same or similar with either SSL Native or the Brainworx SSL 9000 J channel.

• BobChops BobChops 2 years ago Producer

The Reason SSl is an unlicensed copy of the SSl, I can't remember what version it is. Maybe 9000 series.

I think there is modelling on the EQ and compressors. And certainly the master compressor.

I believe the SSL was popular because it was a neutral sounding desk. I have listened to stuff made on it, on the demo's, and the SSL sound seems to come through. I think the SSL sound is very good for Rock music, and clean pop.

I personally don't like the sound of the dynamics. I think they sound to smooth, and not aggressive enough. I use the EQ, but only for mild tweaks.

The main reason I like the console, is the layout.
    lzvhGY.pngI use either the scream 4 distortion or the soft tube saturation knob, for adding colour to stuff.

I also got the Red API lunch box, with some really nice sounding compressors. They sound much better then other ones I have tried in Reason.

Also the Red Lexicon reverb! For serious EQ, I use the Synapse, as it has much more control then the SSL desk EQ.

I remember back in the day, when I was mixing with the 14:2 mixer and reason half rack plugins in Reason 5.
    lzv07D.png

things have certainly moved on since then!

• VigilanteStylez VigilanteStylez 1 year ago Producer

Yeah the SSL was supposed to be a transparent sounding console. Funny how the console makers were trying to make what we have today in our DAWs which is a neutral clean sound. But we all came to love the transformer saturation, and want it back in our plugins so we can have warm, natural sounding mixes. The Super Analogue SSLs (9000s and up) are supposed to be basically no different sonically to the protools mixer, or FL Studios mixer. But SSL markets the SiX and their small format consoles, as getting that "SSL sound", that analog warmth and punchiness, just to then slap a "superanalogue" label on their products. So basically... analog, with the sound of digital. Lmao.

• VigilanteStylez VigilanteStylez 1 year ago Producer

I am going to watch some videos about the Reason SSL 9000 console, and it does look interesting to me, even though recently I have been back on Harrison Mixbus 32C, and learned recently about using a multibussing technique for mixing.  It does have a more focused sound, and I have yet to make a bad mix doing this method.  Works so well in Harrison Mixbus, but not so well when I did this in other DAWs and I think it is because the other DAWs don't actually perform like a console, so instead of getting a bigger and nicer sound, you get a blurry and wierd sound in other DAWs when multibussing in my experience.  Harrison Mixbus 32C is supposed to operate and sound like a console through every phase of the software, and as a result you can get away with multibussing type mixing in Harrison and it will sound as nice as it does on a real console.