Comments

• MIKEMOPROBEATS MIKEMOPROBEATS 2 years ago Hustler Status Producer

IF YOU USE THE NEW ROLAND FANTOM, WE CAN SHARE DIFFERENT IDEAS

• Jokeyent Jokeyent 2 years ago Bronze Status Producer

I still use my xa

WOWW!! THATS DOPE!!!!

• BobChops BobChops 2 years ago Producer

I use FA-06. I will try to make video on it, showing some stuff I learned.

SEND THE LINK

Ok will try to do it. I made some videos, but they were not very good.

At the moment, I have been experimenting with the super natural synth engine. Sounds AMAZING! has real power behind it, like a Jupiter.

The Roland's are funny beasts. They are very much like having a DAW in a box, with some baffling limitations. The first limitation, is the lack of any serious sampling. A major, pita for getting good drum sounds.

I think that a lot of people, use the Fantom combined with the MPC for drums. If you are sequencing from the MPC and using the Fantom as a big sound module, that's really how most people used it. The Rolands have 128 poly, and you won't run out of notes for layering.

I try to use mine on it's own. The sequencer is really good. It even has step time recording, if you want to do trap hi hat roll's. But basically, you have to work out the style of music you want to make with it.

Find all the sounds you are going to use. And put them into a studio set. Once you have a studio set, setup. It's pretty fast to lay down beats. But where it get's complicated, is when you want to finish the song.

What I do then, is export the SMF, to the media card, and then import that into Reason. I load the midi file in, and then set it up to sequence the FA's sounds over midi. Then I can move around the song, add fill's etc without having to do it inside the FA's sequencer.

The Roland filters, are amazing, imo they sound much better then most other filters. And the chorus and reverbs are all really good, and have the Roland sound to them.

I suppose it depends on how you like to work. Some people like to use all their gear hooked up. I like to just use one piece at a time.

I LOVE THE NEW FANTOM BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF DRAW BACKS... SAMPLING IS HORRIBLE.. THE SEQUENCER IS GOOD BUT COULD OF BEEN GREAT.. THE BEST SEQUENCER IS THE MOTIF ES MODELS.. ROLAND NEEDS TO TAKE A PAGE FROM YAMAHA... I LOVE HOW YOU CAN DOWNLOAD ALL THE SOUNDS FROM THE WEBSITE , ROLAND CLOUD... I LIKE HOW YOUR CAN TWEAK EVERYTHING FROM THE SURFACE AND GET DEEPER IF YOU WANT. HAVE A GOOD DAY

I have not used a Motif before. But I am thinking of getting a Yammaha board. I use to have a Yamaha sample/sequencer, and it was the best thing I ever own.

You are right, the Roland Sequencer is good, but not great. I also have a Kross 2, and it only has LCD screen, not big colour display. I was surprised to find, I liked using the sequencer a lot more. The Korg Kross 2, is greater then the sum of it's parts. Where as the Roland is less then the sum of it's parts. Some how, the keyboard as a whole, doesn't work that well as a self contained unit, compared to other boards. It's still a great board for what it is though. My fave producer ever, used a Fantom, and made the best beats I have ever heard on it.

THE MOTIF IS NUMBER FOR MUSIC PRODUCTION.. I STILL HAVE MY ES8 SINCE 2004.. ITS A BEAST.. THE ONLY THING IT WAS LIMITED WITH SOUNDS, LIKE EVERY OTHER KEYBOARD.. I HAVE THE KROSS ALSO BUT THATS A LIGHT WEIGHT KEYBOARD TO GIG WITH AND ALSO MAKE SOME COOL PRODUCTION..I USE TO HAVE THE XP50 ROLAND,, THAT WAS LIKE MY FIRST KEYBOARD.. THEN SOMEBODY GAVE ME THE M1. I HAVE THE KRONOS ALSO...

The KRONOS!

That’s crazy. How does that compare to the fantom?

Tbh the fa-06 I have is somewhat different to the fantom you have.

The sounds on your board are all from the aria software suit.

The fa’s sounds are from the xv5080 and also the integra module.

So I am not sure in your fantom what you get, in terms of extras.

I get the supernatural sounds. And the VA synth.

The thing is, the kross 2, using the editor, it’s possible to come up with amazing sounds. Tho it’s only pcm synth, the waveforms are very good.

The fa-06 has no editor! I know the new fantom you can make sounds on the computer module. But on fa-06 your only option is to use the board.

THE FANTOM IS A BEAST.. IAM USE TO EXCELLENT SOUNDS OUT THE BOX, WHEN I FIRST TURN ON THE FANTOM, GARBABE TO MY EARS ,TO BE HONEST... IT WAS LIKE THE G SERIES SOUNDS WERE MORE EXPRESSIVE WHICH HAD NUANCE... I AM COMING FROM THE DAYS OF KURZWEIL RACK MOUNTS AND KEYBOARDS.. THESE WERE THE BEST KEYBOARDS FOR SOUNDS NOT FOR SEQUENCING...THE KRONOS IS EXCELLENT, BUT WHEN YOU GET NEW GEAR YOU SEEM TO PUT AWAY THE OLD... THE KRONOS ORGANS ARE THE BEST SOO FAR,, I RECORDED VOCALS AND THE WHOLE PRODUCTIONS ON KRONOS... I GUESS YOU GET TIRED OF THE OUTED SOUNDS AND SERVICE FROM THE COMPANY , YOU LOOK TOWARDS OTHER WORKSTATIONS... IF YOU CAN DUMP SOUNDS IN TO KEYBOARDS LIKE YOU DO FRUITY LOOPS... I WOULD STAY IN THE KEYBOARD WORKSTATION DEPARTMENT.EACH GEAR HAS ITS OWN ADVANTAGES AND FLAWS. BUT SINCE IAM DOING PRODUCTION , THE MOTIF TOPS EVERYTHING TO THIS DAY.. THE FANTOM IS REALLY GOOD BUT YOU HAVE TO GO DOWN DEEP INTO THE PARAMETERS TO MAKE THINGS START TO SHINE.. I DEEP SOME PROGRAMING AND THING CAME OUT AMAZING BUT WHEN YOU JUST WANT TO MAKE A HOT TRACK AND MAKE A HIT RECORD THAT KIND OF MESSES WITH THE WORK FLOW......THEY TOOK THE SOUNDS FROM ROLAND RACK MOUNT AND PUT IT IN THE ROLAND FANTOM. I THINK ITS THE INTERGRA-7..I CAN TALK TO YOU ABOUT GEAR ALL DAY..HAHAHAHAHAH

Yea, I used my fantom all day yesterday. I think it's like this.

Basically, you can be the master of one thing. Some people will just use one keyboard or drum machine for 10 years. I was listening to the preset patterns in my Electribe 2. And the programmers are really amazing. You can do all your composition and mixing on the electribe.

Same as the fantom, you can do everything on it. You don't need to track it out and mix it down.

The problem is that, when someone starts to use a lot of gear. They only use the basic functionality of each piece of gear. That's why they end up tracking it all out, and mixing it down in the DAW. When really there is no need to.

But to get to the stage, where your doing everything in one board, you have to really master that one device. You have to spend a crazy amount of hours, just on one thing. And who does that nowadays?

It's hard to go back, and get good at pressing buttons, and rolling the jog wheel, after using the mouse for years and years.

The mouse beat the mixing console, the analog synth and even the special control surfaces they made for computers, for mixing. Very few of the big engineers even use them, as they are 2nd rate compared to the mouse.

I think it's just because the software was designed to be use with a mouse.

So I think that, the FANTOM, like any keyboard is amazing, and capable of anything. But unless it's the only thing you are using, and you learn all the in's and outs, make ton's of sounds etc. It might seem lacklustre.

I am not sure how I feel about gear anymore. I would be in a better place, if I didn't have to think, what I was going to use before I start making music.

I agree

• BobChops BobChops 1 year ago Producer

I used my Fantom more, and I feel like I am starting to get how the board works.

I think it's all about the working process. As I have used a DAW for years, I wanted to jump in and start tweaking and micro managing everything.

This is completely the wrong way!

Now my process is this. Start off looking for a sound that inspires you. Or play around with the super natural synth, or some drums.

Once you come up with something, load it into your studio set, you already have, and get going. The trick is to go really fast.

The Roland sounds, are really good. But they really shine in the mix or a composition. On their own, they might not sound that immense compared to the latest soft synths.

It's more of a case, of making 4 or 5 beats in a couple of hours, and if something happens, you can then start tweaking or what ever.

In a way it's a better system. On Reason, I go in and start tweaking straight away. I have fine detailed control over everything. And the problem is, I end up with too much very nicely tweaked garbage.

The fantom, makes you get the meat of it done really fast. After that, you can mess about with the details.

I also worked out how to do my drums on the fantom now.

The preset kits, are crap. But if you go in and make your own kits, you can get good drums out of it.

To be honest, even if you can't really load your own drums in, (except for the pad sampler but you can't edit them or add effects, 4 note poly) the onboard waveforms are fine.

As long as you don't want to use the same kits as everybody else is using at the moment. Which I personally don't really. But that depends on individual.

• BobChops BobChops 1 year ago Producer

I take it back! The fantom is incredible!

I finally found the part eq, it’s in a weird place. But you get one 4 band eq and one effect for every part! And then you get 2 send fxs and a master effect!

And there is insert fx as well. So about 20 effects processors in just this keyboard. Roland’s effects sound amazing as well.

What I say about the Roland sounds is. They work well in the mix. Of course it’s subjective.

I even take back what I said about software.

When I use cakewalk today, I had to freeze lots of plugins. I have Uber fast ryzen 5 pc.

I was only running about 7 or 8 soft synths. I was using a few effects but not many.

I started having screen redrawing problems. I had to bump the latency right up and freeze stuff. The fantom gives you guaranteed 16 tracks! No latency or glitches.

It’s big time investment to get going, but definitely worth it.