Who can do music as a job nowadays?

Comments

• BobChops BobChops 1 month ago Producer

Are there any people who actually make all their money from music? 

I remeber 15 years ago, some of the big online beat sellers, use to make all their money from music.  But..!  I remember one of them saying they use to make about the same as someone who worked in a super market or Mc Donalds.  I remeber seeing them, they use to work really hard.  Promoting all the time.  

I could never do that, the promotions. 

That was then tho!  and nowadays, it seems infinitely harder.  So back in the day, it was hard difficultie.  Now its nightmare death mode difficulty. 

There are many more beat makers now, because the loops and tools make it easier, and the pie seems smaller, with more people trying to grab a piece.  

• MusicMystro MusicMystro 1 month ago Producer

as time and the music industry changed and adding the fact that i had my kids, i had to find other avenues to make money. i will say 50 of my income is from music thou. Placemets and publishing and licensing checks. and DJing as well. the money ain’t the same as it was 15 20 years ago

• Jokeyent Jokeyent 1 month ago Bronze Status Producer

Its not like back in the day...I make money on muzik but not enough to quit a day job lol...Muzik is a hustle...like hustling and the best hustlers get the bag

• kizombaparty kizombaparty 1 month ago Producer

It has been seven years, a wife and 2 kids ago since I left LA where I had the opportunity to really experience up close and personal the center of the music universe for several years.  The insane levels of competition and greed was amazing.  At the same time, the levels of creativity and freely sharing of knowledge was equally insane amongst the producers and artists chasing their dreams.  One learned quickly how important it was to "keep your paper straight" and how important it was to cultivate the network of people you crossed paths with along the way in studios.  Has the business of music changed?  Technology certainly has changed.  I don't know that the business has changed.  The ebb and flow of where the entertainment industry money is being spent has constantly evolved and always will in the never-changing effort to remain relevant in the business.  Very few "made it" 15 years ago and even fewer "make it" now as a percentage of those trying their best to do so and, at the same time, have the ability to put food on the table.  Don't quit your day job.  But, at the same time, don't ignore your passion for music.     

• JimmyDukes JimmyDukes 1 month ago Producer

Personally i work part time at ups with a family of 2 for Medical benifits, and I Produce Fulltime. The Game changed from when i first started, but there are oppurtunities to make consistent income if you build a brand. The beat leasing game is still good to me, but gotta switch up marketing tactics today between reels and tiktok. The Online producing game is NOT too Saturated as ive heard a lot of other producers say

• kizombaparty kizombaparty 1 month ago Producer

Agreed.  Having a brand is an essential part of any marketing plan.

• BobChops BobChops 1 month ago Producer

Thing with music now, is that it's one big brand.  Down to the beats themselves.  People have been so marketed to they have a musical view the depth of a thimble.  

The interesting thing is, why people are so homogenous with what they are doing now.  Why so few people making music they like, instead of trying to chase the current sound, when there really is limited potential to make $$$ from this stuff anymore. 

I understand back in the day, when people were getting 100's of thousands of $ for a placement. But now with spotify? 

I think Spotify has 100,000 new tracks uploaded a week or a month. Either way, the chances of standing out are extremely limited. 

When I start off, most people who liked music, didn't make music.  Now there is more people making music then people who like music!