WHEN VOTING

Comments

• BosBeats BosBeats 1 year ago Producer

Some of yall seem to vote just on Pref. Beat could be whack but if it's Trap some of yall just vote it. When you know you are good and other good producers give you a 1 or a 2, that's disrespectful in my eyes. I seen some mediocre producers giving ones and twos, does that mean they should get a half a point cuz they at the bottom? I ain't down with that shit. I rarely give a 2. I had a battle where I had one producer give me 1,1,1 , after over 20 years of being a producer a 1? Don't forget when voting that talent is also something even if you don't feel the beat, musicality in my books is something more than just loud ass drums. Mixing is also important when voting. I only go on Pref when 2 beats are so damn close. Show some respect or watch others start voting for you unfairly when you keep voting the way you do. We should be here to help each other grow like many do, give props when it's deserved, when somethings lacking give constructive feedback.

• Jokeyent Jokeyent 1 year ago Bronze Status Producer

Wasting your time Bos....it is what it is....my thing is dudes want to do what they want today theres rules to things...so yes we gotta water it down for the next generation....I cant see how genres are not important. That's like shooting threes at a dunk contest....are you going to send Beyonce drill beats?Even when the submissions say rb and pop?Then say but the beat is fire so what?Lol I cant bruh...I just go with the flow doesnt make sense to argue with dudes...and I dont even think its voting on pref...if you cant even respect genres of music you honestly shouldnt be voting period.

• VigilanteStylez VigilanteStylez 1 year ago Producer

This is not the place to catch feelings. When I vote 1 or 2, it is that bad to me. It is something they need to address in their beat. I am a bit harder than most about the mix because I feel that a good mix helps people feel the music. I know a lot of people don't know how to mix right, and this is why I give them low scores on the mix. Am I the best mix engineer in the world? No. But I know what a decent mix should sound like, and many are very far from even a good mix. Also 1s and 2s based on genre, if the sound is boring and played out to death, they can earn a 1 or a 2 from me for that as well. Learn to be original, explore your DAW, and explore music. The sound we have today is largely the same as 2013. Almost little to no progression in the sound since 2013. That's 9 years ago. Yes we need to explore some different sounds, and drum kits by now. I am also quick to give 4s and 5s when the music is great, original, and mixed well. This is not the place to have an inflated ego imo.

I always appreciate your feedback, and work on the things that need a bit of work. I know my mixes are pretty good like you have said but i still have had a couple ones for my mix which is BS 100, probably a buddy vote or some shit.

• DonKodyGotSlapz DonKodyGotSlapz 1 year ago Hustler Status Producer

its all subjective.. we all have lost battles we FEEL we should have won... it comes down to preference... it is what it is. I'm not subscribing to ageism.. we can't keep resulting to that because I'm 39 and I be washin young producers and older ones so I personally can't subscribe to that. If we're being honest, it's producers judging producers.. would yall rather staff only voted battles?

And Bos another thing is the age difference....lotta people here are young not as old as us who's been making music for years...so their ear is not the same old school is the early 2000s...for them..so yea it can get frustrating if you take it too seriously...and honestly?Sometimes we have to move aside and let these young dudes do them...we battle to sharpen their tools ....my better days are behind me i do this for relaxation and helping some of the young producers by giving honest helpful opinions and advice how to get placements....that's our job now Bos

Some very great points you make bro, much respect.

• BobChops BobChops 1 year ago Producer

I strongly disagree about moving aside!

Back in the day, music production was never a young man's game. People became producers after their career had ended. Most of the records people sample from, were produced by experts in their 50's, 60's and 70's.

This young man's producer game, is a new thing. Where you have to feel washed up if you got 3 big candles on your cake. Nutz!

Don't get me wrong, I have seen young producers, like say Flow Fiyah back in the day, who were amazing. But Flow would be the first person to admit, he had a lot of technique he still had to learn. He was awesome because of fresh perspective and ideas. Not because of solid and perfected techniques.

Nowadays, the young producers just making mediocre sounding garbage, with zero ideas or inspiration, and they have a poverty of technique as well.

As a producer, with the opportunity to play your stuff to other producers, you should want to go away, and do something that makes everyone else crap their pants.

The fun is, at least attempting to make music, that makes other producers want to get in the lab and hit it as well.

Nowadays, it's more like, they just saying to themselves, "This is hot, and if people don't say so too, they are haters."

• BobChops BobChops 1 year ago Producer

I think Bos is right about some people being to hard on their genres.

I also think this as well. On Rocbattle in the old days, I use to sometimes start copying the popular sound. And then later on I realized they were buddy voting, and I had been copying garbage sounds!

I do think a lot of the voting is political.

I personally don't mind sometimes receiving 1's and 2's. Because sometimes my music and I believe myself it is 1's and 2's. I have bad days.

But i find it annoying, when it's a beat that I have invested a lot into, and have a lot of feedback on. And then to see people scoring it lower then 3's.

And from other people as well, when I am looking at the way people vote, sometimes I think, how are your ear's connected to your brains?

I am sort of guess, that some people are laser focused on the current sound of the moment. And they are judging everything to a very narrow selection of music they are listening to. The more you deviate from that, the more they discard what your doing.

The problem is, that the current sound, is really crappy, tired washed up trap and drill music. That's not just my opinion. Everyone I speak to today, except for people making music, nowadays have very little interest in music. The modern trap sound, only appeals to a tiny demographic of people. Mainly teenage boys, or adult men, with teenage boys brain.

Yeah Drill music has the most unmusical beats I have ever heard, and all these bozos making that music are going to jail. They are usually doing that sound as part of a gang ritual where they call out other gangs, or brag about some crime that actually did. Should call it "self snitching music". The reason it is so popular other than what I already stated is because it sounds like the beats that someone who never made beats before makes after they got the hang of FL Studio for the first time. It's basically noob music in my opinion. Almost no body I know likes that stuff, and the ones that do have almost no braincells left from all the hard drugs they have been doing. They also talk like it as well, they sound like a 4 year old trying to talk with their lisps, mispronunciation of simple words, and them leaving out S's T's P's and other sounds when they talk. Sounding goofy as a mfer. Then in my community these goobers wearing bowl cuts looking like Jim Carey from Dumb and Dumber, talking about how they "trapping", and be in the "streets". Man....

Now you see what Im saying....Honestly my only issue here is integrity...dudes will not vote for you simply because they dont like your character or the things we say on here...even if I dont care for you if your hot your hot and vice versa...

• Arcade Arcade 1 year ago Bronze Status Producer

Amen

About these young producers being closed minded, they won't last long. The producers right now who are producing many of the hits we hear on the radio today, are in their 30s, 40s, and 50s. Also the engineers mixing those records are in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. The artists are young and in their 20s, but many mature and well seasoned professionals are behind the music. So don't clown on us old heads, we are still dominating the game right now. Should sit down and learn something.

• BigThrowback BigThrowback 1 year ago Hustler Status Producer

Im late to this thread but I agree ☝️ with Bos,Jokey Bob and Vigilante statement.

Artistically speaking most voters only vote preference and it be the young generation copy and paste packs beats that are the most active. It’s ok though like what you like but have more integrity when judge battles in this community.

Now mind you it’s nothing wrong with that style of production but that is not the end all be all, skill has to play a bigger part in casting these votes you shouldn’t give a producers a 1 or a 2 because the track is just not what you may prefer, looked at the level of difficulty in regards to how the sounds are put 2gether with the sequences drops and build ups.

Each one teach one I’m here to better my craft you can never stop learning but don’t disregard the effort and skill it takes to do what we all inspire to do and that’s 2 be great Peace Throoow.

Most Def